Force10 E Series at the edge?

Vinny_Abello at Dell.com Vinny_Abello at Dell.com
Mon May 7 22:46:00 UTC 2012

FYI: The E300 is the TeraScale series. If you're looking at used, be sure to get dual-cam cards or else you'll top out at 256k routes. Dual-cam should give you 512K/32K (v4/v6). Next step up would be the E600i with EJ RPM(s) which is the ExaScale series and supports up to 688k/128k (v4/v6) routes (EH RPM's still being the Terascale platform so definitely look for EJ's if considering the E600i). 300Mbps is nothing for the E300. Even 300Gbps is still within spec. It's rated for switching up to 400 Gbps and forwarding capacity of 196 Mpps.

This might be of use to you:

http://i.dell.com/sites/content/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell_Force10_Product_Quick_Reference_Guide.pdf

Although I don't work in the Force10 group (I do work for Dell), if you have any questions I can likely track down the right contacts to help you. Contact me off list. I've been learning the product line myself and playing with an E600i in just the past few months coming from familiarity with Cisco and Brocade. If you haven't used Force10 and FTOS before but are familiar with Cisco IOS, you'll pick it up fast.

-Vinny

-----Original Message-----
From: Jo Rhett [mailto:jrhett at netconsonance.com]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2012 5:17 PM
To: Joel jaeggli
Cc: NANOG
Subject: Re: Force10 E Series at the edge?

On Mar 28, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Joel jaeggli wrote:
> On 3/27/12 23:21 , Roberts, Brent wrote:
>> Is anyone running an E300 Series Chassis at the internet edge with multiple Full BGP feeds? 95th percent would be about 300 meg of traffic. BGP
> Doesn't support URPF which makes it unsuitable for RTBH and therefore

I was just about to pipe up and say "they do it fine!" and then I remembered that we built automatic filtering provisioning so that each edge customer got filters applied automatically based on their static assignments from us, or from IRR tables if a checkbox was marked. The boxes handled 1000x ports with ~6 filters per port no problem, but yeah, real uRPF would be nice.

--
Jo Rhett