Operation Ghost Click

Livingood, Jason Jason_Livingood at cable.comcast.com
Tue May 1 12:26:20 UTC 2012

On 4/26/12 5:47 PM, "Paul Graydon" <paul at paulgraydon.co.uk> wrote:

>Based on conversations on this list a month or so ago, ISPs were
>contacted with details of which of their IPs had compromised boxes
>behind them, but it seems the consensus is that ISP were going to just
>wait for users to phone support when it broke rather than be proactive
>about it.

I doubt most big ISPs would be so reactive (those calls cost real money
after all, and customer satisfaction suffers), but I guess you never know.
At Comcast we have done the following:
- Sent emails
- Send postal mail
- Left voicemail
- Used automated outbound calling
- Used increasingly persistent web browser notifications

We've measured the effectiveness of some of these notification methods,
which we'd not employed previously in our Constant Guard bot notification
program. We're considering writing up a paper about this after the July
date passes.

Jason