uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 04:45:28 UTC 2012

On 30/03/12 2:55 PM, John Levine wrote:
>>>                              I thought it should have died when pr0n and
>>> w4rez took it over (in the late 90's)..
> Many of the tech groups remain quite healthy.  I still moderate
> comp.compilers which gets about 100 posts/month.

I'm on a handful of not-tech discussion groups which are still fairly
active.  However, one of them is busy dying as most of the discussion
traffic moved to a Facebook group.  (I'm also on a number of mailing
lists that are quickly dying as most of their traffic is also moving to
Facebook groups.)  We had a thread a few weeks ago in one group after an
ISP announced they were dropping usenet, and customers of that ISP were
being pointed to aioe and eternal-september.org as alternates (for
text-only newsgroups).

jc