uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Mar 30 20:36:53 CDT 2012

Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Joe Greco wrote:
>> Those of us still doing work with USENET know that it isn't dead, far
>> from it, but we're aware that there's a certain amount of illicit
>> traffic.
> A certain amount?  Even years and years ago, when I last ran a server,
> I'd wager porn and warez was statistically "all" of the traffic.
>> It's kind of like the way that pr0n and w4rez dominate all the Internet,
>> but this doesn't seem to faze Internet network operators.
> Perhaps because the pr0n and w4rez are just bits on the wire for most
> operators, not terabytes of disk space on servers we own.

Yeah.. but that's like saying video is all there is on the Internet.  I
don't know about the rest of you, but I exchange a LOT more email every
day that the number of videos I watch, but... the bandwidth involved in
all that email pretty trivial, even counting all the list traffic going
through our list manager.

Miles Fidelman