French Regulator to ask all your information about your Peering

Raphael MAUNIER rmaunier at neotelecoms.com
Fri Mar 30 22:12:25 UTC 2012

On Mar 30, 2012, at 23:46, "Fredy Kuenzler" <kuenzler at init7.net> wrote:

> Am 30.03.2012 23:20, schrieb Raphael MAUNIER:
>> Sorry Fredy, but you are living in a care bear world ?
>>
>> Do you think some people build an intense national backbone
>>
>> You were @GPF last week, when Martin asked : Who want this to be
>> regulated ? And Who want to have his peering controled ? why you didn't
>> raise your hand ?
>>
>> In my memory, no one did.
>>
>> I didn't get my peering with France Telecom, so I get in touch with them
>> and I have a fair contrat and I have a good backbone quality. In my
>> market, I need for now direct access to them, and that's life.
>>
>> My business is not made on the "wishes" to have free peering with my
>> incumbent.
>
> I'm not saying I want this regulated, in fact I prefer to have it as it is
> and keep authorities out of the game. That's why I didn't raise my hand.
>
> But: Fact is that competition commissions and regulators are investigating
> against incumbents and such. They could have avoided this easily if they
> would have been more cooperative and keep their policy less restrictive. I
> don't blame anyone who is filing against someone who is abusing market power.
>
> Now, obviously, the French regulator sees the trouble and trys to understand
> and 'regulate' it the way they do it usually. From our perspective certainly
> not a good way, but why blaming the regulator? Blame those which made it all
> happen! Read: the restrictive incumbents which put obstacles in the way of
> everyone else.

I respect your position, but I'm not buying it. Those issue are the result of cheap transit provider trying to abuse their peers by selling a cheap ip transit and force the incumbent to upgrade.
That's exactly the start of all of this.

> You've choosen to pay to get obstacles away. Others prefer to call the
> court. And probably the majority suffers in silence, especially the
> countless broadband users which actually pay our salaries and make our
> industry happening.

I came to see my incumbent to talk to them and really explain what I'm doing, I spent time to explain and get their points and I had some very good discussion about backbone and cost for a big eyeball ...
They told me : no one came to us to really understand what are really the "global cost" even the French regulator !
So I still don't buy it !

> Regulators should primarily care about those, and
> therefore it's good that the French regulator actually made a move, however
> arguably in the wrong direction.

That's my point here. We are on the same line.