airFiber (text of the 8 minute video)

Oliver Garraux oliver at g.garraux.net
Thu Mar 29 19:33:41 UTC 2012

> Also keep in mind this is unlicensed gear (think unprotected airspace). Nothing stops everyone else in town from throwing one up and soon you're drowning in a high noise floor and it goes slow or doesn't work at all. Like what's happened to 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz in a lot of places. There's few urban or semi-urban places where you still can use those frequencies for backhaul. The reason why people pay the big bucks for licenses and gear for licensed  frequencies is you're buying insurance it's going to work in the future.
>
> Greg

I was at Ubiquiti's conference.  I don't disagree with what you're
saying.  Ubiquiti's take on it seemed to be that 24 Ghz would likely
never be used to the extent that 2.4 / 5.8 is.  They are seeing 24 Ghz
as only for backhaul - no connections to end users.  I guess
point-to-multipoint connections aren't permitted by the FCC for 24
Ghz.  AirFiber appears to be fairly highly directional.  It needs to
be though, as each link uses 100 Mhz, and there's only 250 Mhz
available @ 24 Ghz.

It also sounded like there was a decent possibility of supporting
licensed 21 / 25 Ghz spectrum with AirFiber in the future.

Oliver