Muni Fiber

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at
Tue Mar 27 09:02:57 CDT 2012

Ray Soucy wrote:
> If people got serious about FTTH, I think a _very_ optimistic timeline
> would be something like:

Not optimistic at all, technically or operationally.  Politically and
legally are another matter:
> 2015 - First communities coming online, 100M to the home (probably Gigabit
> line rate, but throttled).

There's been quite a lot of FTTH for quite a few years now.  In addition
to the Verizon FIOS stuff - up to 135mbps down/ 35mbps up available
where I am (though I've been quite happy with lower speeds).

Municipal electric utilities have been deploying fiber right and left.
Probably 200 systems operational.  The two that come to mind immediately

Chattanooga, TN - GigE FTTH Today - -

Grant County PUD (public utility district), OR has had the fiber in for
a few years, selling wholesale - not sure what specific retail services
are available

There'd probably be a lot more available if the big telcos and cable
companies weren't doing everything they can to block municipal bids.