$1.5 billion: The cost of cutting London-Tokyo latency by 60ms

Marshall Eubanks marshall.eubanks at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:45:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Vitkovsky, Adam
<avitkovsky at emea.att.com> wrote:
> That is why there's this neutrinos project
> It's not faster than the speed of light though it can shoot through the Earth and no cables cost involved
>
> So far the speed is 0.1 bit per sec

I bet for $ 1.5 billion neutrino communication (anywhere on Earth) to
its antipode in about 40 msec one way) could be
developed (i.e., the bit rate improved), and I could see some real
market advantages to anyone who had access to it, even
at 100 kbps type bit rates.

Given that, I wouldn't be too surprised to see some physicists and
networking people quietly being hired away by an
obscure new venture...

Regards
Marshall