Verizon, FiOS, and CLEC/UNE orders (was AT&T diversity)

joe mcguckin joe at via.net
Thu Mar 22 04:23:18 UTC 2012

My understanding was that fiber loops were originally included in UNE products available to clecs but several years ago the FCC modified the regulations to remove them.

So, if a service can be provisioned over a copper loop, a clec can offer it, but the ilec doesn't have to share fiber loops or services provisioned over fiber loops. I guess that explains
the frenzy of fiber-to-the-curb buildout we saw with Pac Bell in the early 2000's. I don't think ATT/PacBell has been ripping out copper, but much of it in the SF Bay area is a rotting
mess and ATT hasn't been spending much money to maintain it.

Now that the DSL clecs are all but extinct, the pace of fiber buildout to the end-user has slowed down considerably.

Joe McGuckin
ViaNet Communications

joe at via.net
650-207-0372 cell