Verizon, FiOS, and CLEC/UNE orders (was AT&T diversity)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Mar 21 21:22:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 5:00 PM, John T. Yocum
<john.yocum at fluidhosting.com> wrote:
> That's probably a local requirement. It's not a Federal requirement. Though,
> some cable companies do provide wholesale services even when not required.

Bingo.

On the flip side of the equation, if you want to be an overbuilder (a
third communications infrastructure provider beyond the phone and
cable companies) the owner of the telephone poles is usually required
by the state to sell you an "attachment." An attachment is a
connection to a pole at a specific height, reserved for connecting
your cables. The power company is usually the owner, so they don't get
too bent out of shape about the fact that you're competing with the
ILEC. The last I checked, this ran about $5/year per pole.

See http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/mdrd/PoleAtt.html

There are similar rules for underground conduit on public
right-of-ways but I don't know what they are. On private land,
underground conduit becomes a fixture of the property. So even though
Verizon installed the conduit for their own cable, you as the property
owner have a right to use it as you see fit.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004