Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Mar 15 14:41:35 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 10:25:46AM -0400, William Herrin wrote:

> Geographic routing strategies have been all but proven to irredeemably
> violate the recursive commercial payment relationships which create
> the Internet's topology. In other words, they always end up stealing
> bandwidth on links for which neither the source of the packet nor it's
> destination have paid for a right to use.
>
> This is documented in a 2008 Routing Research Group thread.
> http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/rrg/2008/msg01781.html
>
> If you have a new geographic routing strategy you'd like to table for
> consideration, start by proving it doesn't share the problem.

I think the problem can be tackled by implementing this in
wireless last-mile networks owned and operated by end users.
(Obviously the /64 space is enough to carry that information.
Long-range could be done via VPN overlay over the Internet).

This will reduce the local chatter for route discovery and remove
some of the last-mile load on wired connections, which is in
ISPs' interest. I think we'll see some 1-10 GBit/s effective
bandwidth in sufficiently small wireless cells.

If this scenario plays out, this will inch up to low-end gear
like Mikrotik and eventually move to the core.

I don't think this will initially happen in the network core for the
reasons you mentioned.