Whitelist of update servers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Mar 12 20:53:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Peter Kristolaitis <alter3d at alter3d.ca> wrote:
> On 12-03-12 04:34 PM, Maverick wrote:
>> Like list of sites that operating systems or applications installed on
>> your machines go to update themselves. One way could be to go on each
>> vendors site and look at their update servers like
>> microsoft.update.com but it would be good if there is a list of such
>> servers for all OS and applications so that it could be used as a
>> whitelist.

> I'm trying to determine if this is supposed to be an exercise in
>    "How To Annoy Your Sysadmins"
> or
>    "How To Do Network Security The Really, Really Wrong Way"
> or some combination of the two....

Pete,

There are scenarios in which it is completely reasonable to provide
white listed Web access instead of general Internet access. Consider:
PCs in a prison with access to legal library and off-site education
web sites. It would be helpful if they could also access automatic
updates so they don't get malware but God help the sysadmin if one of
the prisoners figures out how to get to child porn.

That having been said, this is almost certainly the wrong mailing list
to ask. It just isn't the kind of work we do here.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004