Shim6, was: Re: filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Seth Mos seth.mos at dds.nl
Mon Mar 12 18:53:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

Op 12 mrt 2012, om 18:09 heeft Owen DeLong het volgende geschreven:

>> +
>> Cheap End Users
>> =
>> IPv6 NPt (IPv6 Prefix Translation)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Seth
>
> I don't get the association between cheap end users and NPT. Can you explain how one relates to the other, given the added costs of unnecessarily translating prefixes?

Well, to explain cheap here I would like to explain it as following:

- The existing yumcha plastic soap box that you can buy at your local electronics store is powerful enough. About as fast in v6 as it does v4 since it is all software anyhow. It only gets faster from there.

- Requires no cooperation from the ISP. This gets excessively worse where n > 1. Some have 8 or more for added bandwidth.

- The excessive cost associated by current ISP practices that demand you use a business connection (at reduced bandwidth and increased cost). Somehow there was a decision that you can't have PI on "consumer" connections.

- Traffic engineering is a cinch, since it is all controlled by the single box. For example round robin the connections for increased download speed. Similar to how we do it in v4 land.

- It is mighty cheap to implement in current software, a number of Cisco and Jumiper releases support it. The various *bsd platforms do and linux is in development.

- Not to underestimate the failover capabilities when almost all routers support 3G dongles for backup internet these days.

There are considerable drawbacks ofcourse:

- Rewriting prefixes breaks voip/ftp again although without the port rewriting the impact is less, but significant. I'd really wish that h323, ftp and voip would go away. Or other protocols the embed local IP information inside the datagram. But I digress.

- People balk at the idea of NAT66, not to underestimate a very focal group here. All for solutions here. :-)

- It requires keeping state, so no graceful failover. This means dropping sessions ofcourse but the people that want this likely won't care for the price they are paying.

Probably missed a bunch of arguments the people will complain about. It is probably best explained in the current experimental draft for NPt.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6296

Cheers,

Seth