filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Brandon Butterworth brandon at rd.bbc.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 22:07:36 UTC 2012

> From: Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com>
> > We had this discussion on the list exactly a year ago.  At that time,
> > the average IPv6 origin ASN was announcing 1.43 routes.  That figure
> > today is 1.57 routes per origin ASN.
>
> That represents a 10% growth in prefix/asn for IPv6.
>
> Compare to 9.3->9.96/ASN (7%) in IPv4 over that same time, While
> I would agree that this is a trend that merits watching, I think
> we're probably OK for quite some time.

By the time it's a problem it'll not be fixable.

I've been a supporter of classful allocation of v6 such as Bill mentioned
(http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2009-November/015521.html)
there's enough space for it but people don't want to do classful again.

If there isn't standard filtering of defined prefix/lengths by major
carriers then we're just waiting for the problem to arrive. I don't
think we'd get enough people to agree on this to avoid it.

brandon