filtering /48 is going to be necessary

Brandon Butterworth brandon at
Fri Mar 9 16:07:36 CST 2012

> From: Owen DeLong <owen at>
> > We had this discussion on the list exactly a year ago.  At that time,
> > the average IPv6 origin ASN was announcing 1.43 routes.  That figure
> > today is 1.57 routes per origin ASN.
> That represents a 10% growth in prefix/asn for IPv6.
> Compare to 9.3->9.96/ASN (7%) in IPv4 over that same time, While
> I would agree that this is a trend that merits watching, I think
> we're probably OK for quite some time.

By the time it's a problem it'll not be fixable.

I've been a supporter of classful allocation of v6 such as Bill mentioned
there's enough space for it but people don't want to do classful again.

If there isn't standard filtering of defined prefix/lengths by major
carriers then we're just waiting for the problem to arrive. I don't
think we'd get enough people to agree on this to avoid it.