VLAN Troubles

Alan Bryant alan at alanbryant.com
Tue Mar 6 16:07:07 UTC 2012

I hope everyone is having a better workday so far than I am.

I am trying to clean up the network for the Hospital I work for, and
part of that is creating two VLAN's for two separate subnets on our
network. Before, it was not separated by VLANs. We are also replacing
our aged Juniper firewall with an ASA.

I'm very new to VLAN's, so I am hoping this is something simple that
you guys can help me out with.

We have two switches that do not seem to be passing VLAN traffic. The
two switches are a Dell Powerconnect 5324 & a Cisco 3560G. The Cisco
switch appears to be functioning fine, but the Dell switch is only
passing traffic to the Cisco that is on the default untagged VLAN1.
Our second VLAN is not getting passed to the Cisco at all, I am not
seeing any packets tagged with the particular vlan in Wireshark.

I have Port 1 on the Dell switch connected to port 29 on the Cisco
switch, and port 1 on the Cisco switch connected to the ASA.

I have the following config on the relevant ports on the Cisco switch:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 description ASA 5505
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk

interface GigabitEthernet0/29
 description Radiology Switch
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk

Here is the config for the Dell switch:

interface ethernet g1
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g2
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g3
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g4
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g5
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g7
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g9
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g10
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g12
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g14
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
interface ethernet g15
speed 1000
duplex full
exit
port jumbo-frame
interface ethernet g1
switchport mode trunk
exit
interface ethernet g24
switchport mode trunk
exit
vlan database
vlan 12,22
exit
interface range ethernet g(2,4,7,12,14-15)
switchport access vlan 12
exit
interface vlan 12
name Radiology
exit
interface vlan 22
name Guest
exit
interface vlan 1
exit

Anyone have any ideas or pointers? Is there more information that I
need to provide? Vlan1 works just fine, of course. It is Vlan 12 that
is not working. Everything on the Dell switch is communicating with
each other just fine on the same subnet.