BBC reports Kenya fiber break

Oliver Garraux oliver at
Thu Mar 1 08:54:07 CST 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Georgios Theodoridis <gtheo at> wrote:
> Has it been known the exact time of the incident?
> I have found an article reporting that the cut occurred in the mid-day of
> Saturday 25th but nothing more precise.
> We would like to use such information for a BGP anomaly detection analysis
> that we are carrying out in our research centre.
> Thanks in advance,
> George

It sounds like there were multiple cables that were lost recently.
For the EASSy cable issue in the Red Sea, an ISP in Malawi stated the
issues started at "09:26 on Friday 17 February".  I don't know first
hand if that is accurate to the minute or not.  I believe this is
separate from the cable off the cost of Kenya that was cut on the