FYI Netflix is down

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Sat Jun 30 15:23:08 UTC 2012

On 6/30/12 4:50 AM, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012, jamie rishaw wrote:
>
>> you know what's happening even more?
>>
>> ..Amazon not learning their lesson.
>
> I was not giving anyone a free pass or attempting to shrug off the
> outage. I was just stating that there are many reasons why things
> break.  I haven't seen anything official on this yet, but this looks a
> lot like a cascading failure.

But haven't they all been cascading failures?

One can't just say "well it's a huge system, therefore hard". Especially
when they claimed to have learned their lesson from previous outwardly
similar failures; either they were lying, or didn't really learn
anything, or the scope simply exceeds their grasp.

If it's too hard for entity X to handle a large system (for whatever
"large" means to them), then X needs to break it down into smaller parts
that they're capable of handling in a competent manner.

~Seth