FYI Netflix is down

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Jun 30 07:24:49 UTC 2012

On 6/30/12 12:11 AM, Tyler Haske wrote:
>> I am not a computer science guy but been around a long time.  Data centers
>> and clouds are like software.  Once they reach a certain size, its
>> impossible to keep the bugs out.  You can test and test your heart out and
>> something will slip by.  You can say the same thing about nuclear reactors,
>> Apollo moon missions, the NorthEast power grid, and most other technology
>> disasters.
> How to run a datacenter 101. Have more then one location, preferably
> far apart. It being Amazon I would expect more. :/
there are 7 regions  in ec2 three in north  america two in asia one in
europe and one in south america.

us east coast, the one currently being impacted is further subdivided
into 5 availability zones.

us east 1d appears to be the only one currently being impacted.

distributing your application is left as an exercise to the reader.