FYI Netflix is down

Roy r.engehausen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 06:07:10 UTC 2012

On 6/29/2012 10:38 PM, jamie rishaw wrote:
> you know what's happening even more?
>
> ..Amazon not learning their lesson.
>
> they just had an outage quite similar.. they "performed a full audit" on
> electrical systems worldwide, according to the rfo/post mortem.
>
> looks like they need to perform a "full and we mean it" audit, and like
> I've been doing/participating in at dot coms for a decade plus: Actually Do
> Regular Load tests..
>
> Related/equally to blame: companies that rely heavily on one aws zone, or
> arguably "one cloud" (period), are asking for it.
>
> Please stop these crappy practices, people.  Do real world DR testing.
>   Play "What If This City Dropped Off The Map" games, because tonight, parts
> of VA infact did.

I am not a computer science guy but been around a long time.  Data
centers and clouds are like software.  Once they reach a certain size,
its impossible to keep the bugs out.  You can test and test your heart
out and something will slip by.  You can say the same thing about
nuclear reactors, Apollo moon missions, the NorthEast power grid, and
most other technology disasters.