Whois data compromised?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 27 00:56:39 UTC 2012

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, Paul Graydon wrote:

> On 06/26/2012 11:53 AM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> In message
>> <CADfGf67aMjhr+bSDo4kLpfzcyZJZw5bx0uscW_9sgrQ7rz6nsQ at mail.gmail.com>
>> , Eric Rosenberry writes:
>>> Not sure where this data got injected into the system (or who knows,
>>> perhaps it's a DNS injection attack or something), but this certainly is
>>> not right.  :-(
>> It's perfectly NORMAL.  Just the owners of SWINGINGCOMMUNITY.COM,
>> BEYONDWHOIS.COM, SHQIPHOST.COM, NASHHOST.NET and UNIMUNDI.COM playing
>> games.
>>

> Probably a stupid question, but what do they gain by doing such?

Vanity.  Poking fun at the domains in question.  People have been doing it
at least 10 years, probably longer.

http://attrition.org/news/content/00-01-26.001.html

That's a page about it from 2000.  So, obviously, it has been going on
more than 10 years.

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |