IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 25 14:57:36 UTC 2012

On Jun 25, 2012, at 7:09 AM, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> (2012/06/25 18:00), Tim Franklin wrote:
>>> Even though it may be easy to make end systems and local
>>> LANs v6 capable, rest, the center part, of the Internet
>>> keep causing problems.
>>
>> Really?  My impression is that it's very much the edge
>> that's hard - CE routers, and in particular cheap, nasty,
>> residential DSL and cable CE routers.
>
> Are you saying they are "end systems and local LANs"?
>
> 					Masataka Ohta

Yes... Most people think of everything off the ISP network as "Edge".

So from the CPE outward, is the Edge to most people's thinking.

Your definition of center vs. edge is misplaced compared to everyone else.

This is what created the confusion between us when I first said 99%
of the center was already IPv6 -- If you don't count CPE outwards as
part of the center, then that is a valid statement.

If you count the CPE, etc. as center and only count the very end host
as edge, then, my other statement (that IPv6 deployment in this area
is accelerating) is true.

Owen