LinkedIn password database compromised

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Sun Jun 24 01:14:31 UTC 2012

> 2. Pre-compromised-at-the-factory smartphones and similar.  There's
> no reason why these can't be preloaded with spyware similar to CarrierIQ
> and directed to upload all newly-created private keys to a central
> collection point.  This can be done, therefore it will be done, and when
> some security researcher discovers it, the usual excuses and justifications
> will be made by the designated spokesliars for the companies involved...
> which will of course keep right on doing it, albeit perhaps with more
> subterfuge.

> Problem #2 is newer, but I'm willing to bet that it will also last
> at least a decade and that it will get worse, since there are
> substantial economic incentives to make it so.

This doesn't only apply to "SmartPhones".  The most widely used Operating System (by this I mean Windows) has been issued pre-compromised and has "intentionally implanted compromise via Vendor Update" for many years.  It is only unethical when a non-American does it.  The excuses and justifications are no different.

---
()  ascii ribbon campaign against html e-mail
/\  www.asciiribbon.org