IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 14:38:38 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Masataka Ohta <
mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:
<MAJOR SNIP>

> > The center part of the internet is the easiest part of
> > modification for IPv6 and is probably somewhere near 99%
> > complete at this point.
>
> That is a fairy tale once believed by so many infants who
> thought dual stack were enough.

Just injecting a real-world comment/observation here:

I am sitting at home, on my natively IPv6 connected, Comcast-provided
residential service.
My phone is sitting next to me, connected to VZW's IPv6-capable LTE network.
When I go to one of my client sites, they get IPv6 through a HE.net tunnel.
Another client site uses AT&T and/or CenturyLink for IPv6 connectivity.
*... the list goes on ...*

In all cases, IPv6 is alive and well for me.
More importantly (even though the last-mile is not ubiquitously
IPv6-enabled in all service regions) those five providers have backbones
that are 100% up and running, native IPv6 all over the place.  So what is
the fairy tale??

Am I saying we are all done, and that IPv6 is fully deployed?  Of course
not, lots of work to do in the enterprise and last-mile areas ... but
progress has been noticeable and is accelerating.

/TJ