IPv6 day and tunnels

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Tue Jun 19 13:10:19 UTC 2012

Templin, Fred L wrote:

>> Not necessarily, as IPv4 can take care of itself and IPv6
>> is hopeless.
>
> IPv4 can take care of it how - with broken PMTUD or

As you know, RFC1191 style PMTUD is broken both for IPv4
and IPv6.

> with broken fragmentation/reassembly?

Fragmentation is fine, especially with RFC4821 style PMTUD,
even though RFC4821 tries to make people believe it is broken,
because accidental ID match is negligibly rare even with IPv4.

> And, you won't
> get any argument from me that IPv6 has been stuck
> for years for good reasons - but MTU failures can
> soon be taken off the list.

Now, it's time for you to return v6-ops to defend your
draft from Joe Touch.

Note that there is no point for IPv6 forbid fragmentation
by intermediate routers.

						Masataka Ohta