ZOMG: IPv6 a plot to stymie FBI !!!11!ONE!

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Jun 17 11:16:21 UTC 2012

On Jun 16, 2012, at 7:07 PM, Scott Weeks wrote:

> From: John Curran <jcurran at arin.net>
>>
>> With respect to updating Whois, it is true that many ISPs do not
>> update their sub-delegations until applying for their next IPv4
>> block.  Whether this is also the case with IPV6 or not remains
>> to be seen, but given IPv6 allocation size, it would not be good.
>
> What is going to make folks change their behavior?

One would hope that industry self-regulation and the small amount
of self-interest would suffice here, but it's hard to be optimistic.
Even if keeping this information up to date is commonly recognized
as a best practice, our collectively track record in community
pressure for compliance to best practices is uneven at best; i.e.
I can imagine someone saying "Um, can we at least use MD5 on this
session" or "You're giving us a lot of needless deaggregates with
the same path info" but can't quite believe that "We happened to
review all your address blocks and noticed you don't have a lot of
the subassignments listed" is going to be a frequent phrase heard
in peering discussions...

Net result is that we may just have to live with lax practices by
some, since many other potential solutions have real potential for
consequences worse than the problem itself.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO