Article: IPv6 host scanning attacks

Fernando Gont fernando at gont.com.ar
Wed Jun 13 22:46:51 UTC 2012

On 06/13/2012 03:37 PM, Dave Hart wrote:
>>> "published" and "available" are misleading at best.
>>
>> It is not. Just scroll down the page, and you'll find the whole article.
>> -- it was easy to talk crap than to do that, right?
>
> Yes, I'm an idiot for believing what I read on that site:
>
> "Requires Free Membership to View"
>
> Of course I should have expected that means "scroll past me and the
> page of whitespace to view."

I wouldn't "announce" the publication of an article that implies the
hassle of a registration in order to read it.

While it's certainly not "as good as it can get" to have a banner saying
"require free membership to view" inserted in the middle of the article
body, it's still "acceptable" for me. (Since you're not the first one to
think that the article was not free, next time I'll probably make this
explicit such that possible trouble is avoided]).

>> I find it amazing the number of people that will talk crap when one
>> publishes something when compared to the number of people that provides
>> technical comments or criticism (even if it's "you're completely wrong
>> because of this and that).
>
> The draft and the article raise valid points about the predictability
> of widely-used MAC-derived IIDs, but it does not in any way justify
> the headline "Analysis: Vast IPv6 address space actually enables IPv6
> attacks."  Whomever wrote that should share their stash.

FWIW, the headline was replaced prior to publication. Put another way: I
agree with your comment regarding the headline.

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando at gont.com.ar || fgont at si6networks.com