Article: IPv6 host scanning attacks

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 17:28:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Fernando Gont <fernando at gont.com.ar> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> TechTarget has published an article I've authored for them, entitled
> "Analysis: Vast IPv6 address space actually enables IPv6 attacks".
>
> The aforementioned article is available at:
> <http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/Analysis-Vast-IPv6-address-space-actually-enables-IPv6-attacks>

"published" and "available" are misleading at best.  The article is
teased with a sentence and a half, truncated by a demand for an email
address with tiny legalese mentioning a privacy policy and terms of
use that undoubtedly would take far longer to read than Gont's
valuable content.

> (FWIW, it's a human-readable version  of the IETF Internet-Draft I
> published a month ago or so about IPv6 host scanning (see:
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-host-scanning>))

I guess I'll take a look at this to see what you're smoking.

> You can get "news" about this sort of stuff by following @SI6Networks on
> Twitter.

"news" in quotes is appropriate given it's really eyeball harvesting
for marketing purposes.

Cheers,
Dave Hart