Dear Linkedin,

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sun Jun 10 19:25:00 UTC 2012

> The credit card companies should pull their heads out of their asses about t=
> his.
>
> It is much better from an anti-fraud perspective for a stolen card not to co=
> ntain a specimen signature for the thief to learn to forge.
>
> It is far preferable for the merchant to request ID and verify that the sign=
> ature matches the ID _AND_ the picture in the ID matches the customer.

So, what ID do you consider to be acceptable?  Especially when traveling,
you've just opened up a can of worms.  As a merchant, do you know what a
Canadian driver's license is supposed to look like, for example?

The reality is that forging signatures is not particularly easy, and since
merchants generally don't check ANYWAYS, the whole issue is kind of
nebulous.

... JG