Dear Linkedin,

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Jun 9 04:42:59 UTC 2012

>> Does your bank request/require that you change the PIN
>> on your ATM card every few months?

> ATM cards are not passwords, they are a coarse form of two-factor
> authentication - You have the card, you have the PIN.

> You have to possess both in order to transact - at least in in theory.

> Compare that with the secrecy surrounding the CVV - the "last three digits
> on the number on the back of the card" which you are "not meant to tell
> anyone" and which _will_ be different if your card is lost/stolen and
> reissued.

If I'm not supposed to not "tell anyone", why is it even printed where I can
read it?

----

[Context is only having so-many brain cycles to memorize passwords.]

> It's harder as we get old.  Use technology to aid with the heavy lifting.  :-)

Right.  But the meta problem is figuring out which technology to trust.

Phishing is the tip of the iceberg on social engineering.  So far, the bad
guys are winning.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.