IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com Jean-Francois.TremblayING at videotron.com
Fri Jun 8 12:37:00 UTC 2012

Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> a écrit sur 07/06/2012 06:09:46 PM :

> On this point I think you are wrong. Except for router advertisements,
> most NDP packets are sent to a solicited node multicast address, and so
> do NOT go to all nodes. It is "the same as broadcast" only in a network
> with switches that do not do MLD snooping.
> > > So I'm not sure how DAD traffic would exceed ARP traffic.
> > I wouldn't expect it to.
> Nor would I - which was the point of my response to an original poster
> who said it might.

Karl,
Actually, your analysis seems fair for a normal broadcast network. It's
true that DAD is fairly rare. RS and RAs are also part of ND though, but
they shouldn't be a large part of the trafic.

My comment was probably skewed by my perspective as an MSO. Docsis
networks are not really broadcast in nature and the gateway (CMTS) sees
all the ND trafic (ND-proxying), including DAD and RS, which can become
a fair amount of trafic in some specific situations.

/JF