Configuration Systems

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jun 8 05:37:06 UTC 2012

On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 13:30:53 -1000, Paul Graydon said:

> Your original definition: "cloud" == "you rented a colo, but have no
> clue where".  I know exactly where my colo is.  I know exactly where my
> physical servers are.  If I run a private cloud on those servers and
> provision stuff there, I'll still know exactly where my colo is and I'll
> still know where my "cloud" infrastructure is deployed

I posit the thesis that if you know where it is, it's not really a cloud, it's
just a server farm with a severe attack of buzzwords. The whole point of
"cloud" is that you've made "where" Somebody Else's Problem - and if you know
where it is because you're still managing it yourself, it isn't an SEP.