Configuration Systems

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 23:30:53 UTC 2012

On 06/07/2012 12:59 PM, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 12:12:09 -1000, Paul Graydon said:
>> what cloud is you've also got to go into the realms of private clouds
>> (using, for example, openstack), on your own infrastructure in your own
>> datacenter.
> Same definition.  The user I've provisioned still has no idea where I provisioned him.
>
>> That's before you even start delving into PaaS, SaaS "clouds" etc.
> Still the same definition.  You have no idea where you're provisioned from.
Your original definition: "cloud" == "you rented a colo, but have no
clue where".  I know exactly where my colo is.  I know exactly where my
physical servers are.  If I run a private cloud on those servers and
provision stuff there, I'll still know exactly where my colo is and I'll
still know where my "cloud" infrastructure is deployed
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing#Private_cloud)  Even that
wiki page doesn't quite go far enough in defining cloud, at least
compared to stuff people sell as "cloud" (as I said, cloud is a
marketing term, not an engineering one.  Its accuracy is negligible)

Paul