Configuration Systems

Andrew Latham lathama at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 02:49:30 UTC 2012

Lurker speaking... beware...

I have been talking with some folks from various industries about
configuration systems ala Bcfg2, Puppet, Chef, and others.  Many of
them care far too much about the current nodes configuration status as
some admin had logged in and changed something.  I am authoring a
system called Enablement that uses what ever technology needed (ssh,
telnet over admin vlan, rsh, etc...) to push a planned system/config
to the device.  Monitoring and auditing are all the same at the moment
as we need historical data on when a service or port started and
stopped offering its planned or unplanned service.  For a meeting
Thursday I am looking forward to the future of configuring systems.
My idea is push + netblock scanning of services.  With stacks for
clouds we can startup and shut down nodes easy.  Would a bend over
backwards config reader for all the "Configuration Management Systems"
be the best medium ground from the service provider point of view?

Enablement....  Send another man to fight on the front line.

--
~ Andrew "lathama" Latham lathama at gmail.com http://lathama.net ~