IPv6 /64 links (was Re: ipv6 book recommendations?)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 6 19:05:31 UTC 2012

It is because of IEEE EUI-64 standard.

It was believed at the time of IPv6 development that EUI-48 would run out of
numbers and IEEE had proposed going to EUI-64. While IEEE still hasn't
quite made that change (though Firewire does appear to use EUI-64 already),
it will likely occur prior to the EOL for IPv6.

There is a simple algorithm used by IEEE for mapping EUI-48 onto the EUI-64
space.

The 0x02 bit of the first octet of an EUI-64 address is an L-Flag, indicating that
the address was locally generated (if it is a 1) vs. IEEE/vendor assigned (if it is a 0).

The mapping process takes the EUI-48 address XX:YY:ZZ:RR:SS:TT and maps
it as follows:

let AA = XX xor 0x02.

AAYY:ZZff:feRR:SSTT

ff:fe above is literal.

IPv6 was originally going to be a 32-bit address space, but, the developers
and proponent of SLAAC convinced IETF to add 64 more bits to the IPv6
address for this purpose. Since bits are free when designing a new protocol,
there really was no reason to impose such limitations.

You really don't gain anything by going to /80 at this point. There are more
than enough addresses available in IPv6 for any foreseeable future even
with /64 subnets.

Owen