ROVER routing security - its not enumeration

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Jun 5 19:40:52 UTC 2012

>> There are number of operational models that provide the needed
>> routing protection without enumeration.
> I can see a use-case for something like:
>   "Build me a prefix list from the RIR data"

this requires a full data fetch, not doable in dns.

and, at the other end of the spectrum, for any dynamic lookup on
receiving a bgp announcement, the data had best be already in the
router.  a full data set on an in-rack cache will go nuts on any
significant bgp load.  beyond that, you are in non-op space.

randy