IPv6 day and tunnels

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Tue Jun 5 19:09:38 UTC 2012

I am making a general statement that applies to all tunnels
everywhere. For those, specs say that all that is required
for MRU is 1500 and not 1500+20. *Unless there is some
explicit pre-arrangement between the tunnel endpoints*,
the ingress has no way of knowing whether the egress can
do better than 1500 outer packet (meaning 1480 inner packet).
That is certainly the case for point-to-multipoint "automatic"
tunnels as many of these IPv6 transition technologies are.

Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com