Penetration Test Assistance

Quinn Kuzmich lostinmoscow at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 16:34:59 UTC 2012

It's not much of a penetration test, imho, if the "attackers" have detailed
knowledge of your network and systems before the attack.  You should
determine what kind of a scenario you are trying to simulate, and how the
results will be used to improve security.  Is this a "black box" situation,
where you want to see what potential attackers can discover about your
systems without insider information?  Or will this be a step by step,
examine each part of the system and then step back to see what's going on
from a high level scenario?

If you're trying to both reduce vulnerabilities and your attack profile, I
would go for the black box approach and see what your pentesters can come
up with themselves.  Man is a resourceful creature, and you never know what
they could turn up.