IPv6 day and tunnels

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Tue Jun 5 14:38:25 UTC 2012

A quick comment on probes. Making the tunnel ingress probe
is tempting but fraught with difficulties; believe me, I
have tried. So, having the tunnel ingress fragment when
necessary in conjunction with the original source probing
is the way forward, and we should advocate both approaches.

RFC4821 specifies how the original source can probe with
or without tunnels in the path. It does not have any RTT
delays, because it starts small and then tries for larger
sizes in parallel with getting the valuable data through
without loss.

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com