IPv6 day and tunnels

Templin, Fred L Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com
Mon Jun 4 19:26:04 UTC 2012

This is taken care of by rate limiting at the tunnel
ingress. For IPv4-in-(foo) tunnels, rate limit is 11Mbps
which may be a bit limiting for some applications. For
IPv6-in-(foo) tunnels, rate limit is 733Gbps which
should be acceptable for most applications.

> Note that, with your draft, a route change between two
> tunnels with same C may cause block corruption.

There are several built-in mitigations for this. First,
the tunnel ingress does not assign Identification values
sequentially but rather "skips around" to avoid synchronizing
with some other node that is sending fragments to the same
(src,dst) pair. Secondly, the ingress chooses random fragment
sizes for the A and B portions of the packet so that the A
portion of packet 1 does not match up properly with the B
portion of packet 2 and hence will be dropped. Finally, even
if the A portion of packet 1 somehow matches up with the B
portion of packet 2 the Internet checksum provides an
additional line of defense.

> > Additionally, encapsulating a 1500 inner packet in
> > an outer IP header results in a 1500+ outer packet - and the
> > ingress has no way of knowing whether the egress is capable
> > of reassembling larger than 1500.
>
> Operators are responsible to have tunnel end points with
> sufficient capabilities.

It is recommended that IPv4 nodes be able to reassemble
as much as their connected interface MTUs. In the vast
majority of cases that means that the nodes should be
able to reassemble 1500. But, there is no assurance
of anything more!

Thanks - Fred
fred.l.templin at boeing.com