DOCSIS 3.0 & PPPoE/L2TP compatibility

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 20:19:31 UTC 2012

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:33:51 -0400, iptech <iptech at northrock.bm> wrote:
> 3.0 compliant setup, and this standard no longer supports PPPoE via
> L2TP, and can now only offer PPTP for terminating with us.

As I recall from my reading of "the standard", there's nothing in there to
prevent any tunneling on top of the DOCSIS bridged ethernet.

I suspect this is not a "standard" problem but an ISP problem... their new
hardware doesn't support PPPoE/L2TP, it's an additional license, or they
don't know how (or unwilling) to configure it.

(I'm assuming the PPPoE is between you and the customer, and L2TP is
between your network and the cable network. i.e. L2TP is how your
customers are brought to you from the cable network.)

I have no documentation on ARRIS either, so I don't know what they
can/cannot do.