Update from the NANOG Communications Committee regarding recent off-topic posts

Panashe Flack lists222 at m.l.vaunt.eu
Mon Jul 30 19:04:36 UTC 2012

> As a quick update, we've implemented some list settings last week to help to
> keep spam off the list.  New subscribers are moderated until we're comfortable
> with their posts.  We rejected the idea of keyword based message filtering
> since not only is a lot of work to maintain, it's trivial to get around it if
> you really want to post banned words.
>
> Comments and suggestions are welcome.
>

> Matt Griswold, on behalf of the NANOG Communications Committee

I dislike this change - how long are subscribers considered "new"? I
believe (and I hope I'm wrong) that with this new rule the nanog
maiing list will turn into another fulldisc (list activity greatly
reduced) by this change. Before this change I had thought of nanog as
the new fulldisc - I guess I will have to find yet ANOTHER mailing
list for continued activity. And just for reference - have you guys
SEEN the "Linux Kernel Mailing List"? - it gets frequent spam posts
and yet is perfectly able to ignore the spam/irrelevant posts and
continue on its remit.