Is Hotmail in the habit of ignoring MX records?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Jul 27 01:34:10 UTC 2012

In message <A9A5C64B-831D-42BF-8A38-56CC3B9BAF48 at kapu.net>, Michael J Wise writ
es:

> On Jul 26, 2012, at 1:35 AM, Lou Katz wrote:
>
> > The domain is cookephoto.com
>
> Why does mail.metron.com have MX records?

Why do you care?  There is nothing wrong with having explict MX
records and they generally take up less room in a DNS cache then
the negative response does especially if it is DNSSEC signed.

> And they're different.

Again why do you care?

> 	$ host cookephoto.com
> 	cookephoto.com has address 192.160.193.89
> 	cookephoto.com mail is handled by 10 mail.metron.com.
> 	cookephoto.com mail is handled by 12 mail2.metron.com.
> 	cookephoto.com mail is handled by 15 mail.katz.com.
>
> 	$ host mail.metron.com
> 	mail.metron.com has address 192.160.193.14
> 	mail.metron.com mail is handled by 10 mail.metron.com.
> 	mail.metron.com mail is handled by 20 mail.katz.com.
>
> 	$ host mail.katz.com
> 	mail.katz.com has address 192.160.193.14
>
> 	$ host mail2.metron.com
> 	mail2.metron.com has address 209.204.189.91
>
> 	$ host plaid.metron.com
> 	plaid.metron.com has address 192.160.193.135
>
> Normally, in my experience, the actual mail server doesn't have MX
> records as such, but=85.
> Just seems 0dd.

All address record (A and AAAAA) have MX records.  Some may be
implicit but as far as SMTP is concerned they all have MX records.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org