IPv6 only streaming video

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 01:34:02 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Tina TSOU <Tina.Tsou.Zouting at huawei.com> wrote:
> My enterprise users need to turn off IPv4 on their hosts to experience YouTube IPv6 only streaming video. Courtesy to Owen.

I think if you have a dual-stack host you'll just get the v6 version
of stream... I suppose there are happy-eyeball cases where v4 may win
the race though? Is that what you're seeing in this case? (do the
hosts even attempt a AAAA lookup, and a subsequent connect to the v6
address, presuming a AAAA was returned to them)

> It is an enterprise network here, I can't dictate for everyone. Some people prefer dual stack host, some people prefer IPv6 only host.
> Youtube works in our IPv6 only host and dual stack host.

ok, so... win?

> Ipv6.netflix.com doesn't seem to work in our dual stack host and IPv6 only host.
> Do you have the URL of IPv6 only stream video about the Olympics from nbc?

nbc looks to be using youtube for the streams, so ... any one of their
streams should go over v6 (or v4). This one isn't olympics related,
but streamed over v6 to me...

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUXy7f-o2lGoF1PZ-FKeDtSg&v=NXXMd3CBpUQ&feature=player_detailpage>