DDoS using port 0 and 53 (DNS)

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Jul 25 22:13:52 UTC 2012

Another nice "emerging" tool [I say emerging because it's been around forever but nobody implements it] to deal with this is Flowspec, using flowspec you can instruct your Upstream to block traffic with much more granular characteristics.

Instead of dropping all traffic to the IP address, you can drop (for example) udp dst 80 traffic to the IP address, or traffic from a particular source to a particular DST.

It can also be initiated by your side without interaction from the upstream ISP.

Just saying =)

-Drew