using "reserved" IPv6 space

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Jul 19 17:30:02 UTC 2012

On 18-Jul-12 22:57, Karl Auer wrote:
> I don't understand the professed need for provable randomness.

I think his concern is that if an SP generates a ULA prefix for a
customer, and that prefix happens to collide with someone else's ULA
prefix, the SP may wish to prove that it was a true collision rather
than a result of the SP's laziness or incompetence.

However, that concern does /not/ apply to those interested in ULAs in
general.  For the very limited community it does apply to, use a
provable RNG instead of the one in RFC 4193.