Why use PeeringDB?

Darius Jahandarie djahandarie at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 15:55:41 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Chris Grundemann
<cgrundemann at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently working on a BCOP for IPv6 Peering and Transit and
> would very much appreciate some expert information on why using
> PeeringDB is a best practice (or why its not). All opinions are
> welcome, but be aware that I plan on using the responses to enhance
> the document, which will be made publicly available as one of several
> (and hopefully many more) BCOPs published at http://www.ipbcop.org/.

Well, PeeringDB is basically the first stop for anyone who wants to
potentially peer with you, or has received a peering request from you.
(Some people even scrape the database to find potential peers based on
traffic levels and existing peering locations.)

A database of easy-to-access contact information, internet exchanges,
and facilities is a boon to even non-peering tasks, such as finding a
noc email.

Basically, if you have a clue and want to peer, or even just be a good
netizen, having and maintaining an up-to-date PeeringDB entry is a
good idea. Simple as that.

--
Darius Jahandarie