using "reserved" IPv6 space

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jul 18 13:25:02 UTC 2012

On (2012-07-18 09:10 -0400), valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> You want to roll in at some entropy by adding in the current date or
> something, so two "Joes' Burritos and Internet" in 2 different states don't
> generate the same value.  There's a reason that 4193 recommends
> a 64bit timestamp and an EUI64.

I assume business ids are federal not state, as IRS is federal? Anyhow I'm
not saying 'this is how it should be done', I'm saying maybe there is way
to do this in a way which is verifiably random.

64b timestamp and EUI64 make it non-verifiable. I think it would be nice,
that people who play by the rules are able to prove they did. Otherwise you
can generate it any way you want and claim you did it the right way.

--
  ++ytti