MPLS L2VPN monitoring

Siegel, David Dave.Siegel at level3.com
Tue Jul 17 13:56:12 UTC 2012

We deploy NIDs to the customer premise.  You just can't get enough alarm data be looking only at your router/switch on your side of an Ethernet NNI to give you a proper indication of whether the service is functional, and it also happens to be quite handy to have when a performance test/verification is required.

There are a variety of vendors out there to choose from...we have quite a lot of Tellabs and Accedian out in the field.

I had hoped that last mile vendors would have been providing NIDs "smartjack" style by now in a fairly ubiquitous fashion, but alas none of them have stepped up to the plate so we're still putting them out there on our own dime.

Dave