NAT66 was Re: using "reserved" IPv6 space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jul 17 04:31:42 UTC 2012

Think HA pairs in Pittsburgh, Dallas, and San Jose.

Now imagine each has different upstream connectivity and the backbone
network connecting all the corporate sites lives inside those firewalls.

The real solution to this is to move the backbone outside of the firewalls
and connect the internal networks via VPNS that ride the external backbone
and can be routed over the internet safely when a backbone link fails.

However, this still requires some interesting effort in terms of source address
selection, routing, etc. in order to avoid triangle routing out of the firewall
in Pittsburgh resulting in a return trying to come in via Dallas or San Jose.

I think in IPv6, as firewall vendors begin ot mature their products, we'll
either see a departure from stateful inspection, or, more likely an ability
to set up HA clusters across diverse geography where state tables are
kept in sync across the WAN.

Owen