using "reserved" IPv6 space

-Hammer- bhmccie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:11:48 UTC 2012

There are multiple issues here. I understand most folks on these threads
are beyond me but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person in this position.

1) (This one is currently a personal issue) I am still building up a
true IPv6 skillset. Yes, I understand it for the most part but now is
the time to apply it.

2) All the reading you do doesn't prepare you for application and the
vendors aren't necessarily helping. Feature parity across platforms and
vendors beyond just "interface x/x/x" and "ipv6 address
fe80:blah:blah::babe:1" seems to seriously be lacking. When I try to
take what I understand and apply it beyond the basics I often see
hurdles.  Example? HSRP IPv6 global addressing on Cisco ASR platform. If
it's working for you hit me offline. Example2? Any vendor product beyond
a router or switch. CheckPoint FW? F5 LB? Netscaler LB or AF? The WAN
guys may be rolling deep in IPv6 but not everyone else. I just got an EA
this morning from CheckPoint for NAT66. This should have been ready for
prime time years ago. I guess the vendors weren't getting the push from
the customers so there was no need to make an effort....

3) When I'm not preoccupied attempting to digest the fundamentals I am
well aware of the retooling of the brain that is required for this in a
network design. Last year I reached out to Team Cymru and attempted to
build an IPv6 router template to match their IPv4 template. It was a
completely different animal. Ironically most of the STIGs and NSA
reference garbage I used was ten years old but still applied. After
going thru all those docs my brain hurt trying to orient my ACLs
properly and go thru all the different attributes you want to block
where and when. Then I spent some time trying to work our design schemas
for our ARIN space with the WAN design team. What I'm trying to say is
that Roberts comments are spot on. It is a very different way of
thinking on a small scale and a large scale and you can't take your IPv4
logic and apply it. I've tried and it's just slowing me down.

-Hammer-

"I was a normal American nerd"
-Jack Herer